Monday, April 28, 2014

Revolver Rani (2014)

If there were a genre called "grit," then Revolver Rani (meaning "Revolver Queen" in English) would fall into that, rather than black comedy, action or drama among others. And if there were an award for the best acting ever across all cinema from all over the world, then Kangana Ranaut would be a serious contender and very likely winner for her role as Alka Singh, the Revolver Rani of the film and of Gwalior. And if there was ever an example of how the remaining film fails to match the high-voltage intensity and sheer ability of one of its crew (Kangana), then this film is the example.

Failing miserably in the editing department, the film is still unmissable: simply because of a breathtaking performance, yet again in her life, by Kangana. For me, Kangana's performance in her debut film, Gangster, had been the best-ever performance by any actor in a Hindi film equalling Kher's in Saaransh, but here Kangana as the Revolver Queen surpasses even both of them. And not only that but Hindi cinema gets its first pulsating action performance and its first action hero in the unlikely shapes of Kangana and her act; the finale of the film, set to the high-octane, rhythmic song of "Pehli Lohe ki Chingari," is riveting, stunning, spectacular: before the scene was set into its frenzied motion, I was expecting something like Ishqiya's Vidya Balan ending, but the film, for all its flaws in editing and directing, did serve up a climax unforgettable by way of believable dream stuff. And an unbelievable "rann chandi," Kangana.

If only the film had avoided the Udaybhan clan ... their comedy falls flat, and most importantly it is completely stupid to start the film with a long sequence of them. It is only Kangana's entry that energizes the film; till then, the viewer is floundering, thinking what on earth he came for. Kangana's role in the film does lead to one think: if only someone would make the Betty Blue story adaptation with an evil twist, what a God-given gift would Kangana be in a role similar to Betty's. The wish list couldn't be better for a film lover.

The film is overall simply decent, but watch it for the sublime Kangana. I guess I have set down a litany of adjectives here for Kangana in such a short write-up, and yet I think I haven't done her any justice as yet. Words fail when faced with such exceptional talent and work.

3 comments:

  1. Dear Ankyuk,

    This is Murtaza. I am the author of a film blog named "A Potpourri of Vestiges" (www.apotpourriofvestiges.com). I must confess that I am greatly impressed by your writings on cinema. Frankly speaking, I haven't come across many movie blogs with such remarkable range and coverage of world cinema.

    I would love to connect with you on facebook and other social media channels. I am also adding your blog to the list of recommended blogs on A Potpourri of Vestiges.

    Regards,
    Murtaza Ali
    murtaza.jmi@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Murtaza; I have emailed you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Finally I watched Revolver Rani (I only got convinced after reading your views on Kangana Ranaut's performance) and I must say that I had a great time watching it.

    Here's the link to my review:

    http://www.apotpourriofvestiges.com/2015/06/revolver-rani-2014-sai-kabirs-political.html

    ReplyDelete